Women in Science poll responses

Karen Allendoerfer ravena at cco.caltech.edu
Wed Sep 25 04:53:15 EST 1996

In article <Pine.A32.3.91.960924103812.38894A-100000 at musca.unm.edu>,
lkista at UNM.EDU (Linnea Ista) wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, S L Forsburg wrote:
>

> > One thing that strikes me is that there is a clear division
> > between a relatively large group who  see some problems, and a
> >  steady about 25% who don't.  Did you collect any data about the
> > ages/stages of the respondents?  My hypothesis would be that the
> > younger women are more likely to feel that they have not suffered
> > discrimination.  I think that reflects that the doors are now
> > open at the student and postdoc level; about 50% of grad students and
> > postdocs that I see are likely to be women.  I also think that
> > reflects a lot of discussion on this group.
> >
> I think that also you experience it less as an undergrad. I know I
> thought things were fine and dandy until I got into grad school.

   I agree with Linnea that I think things have gotten better such that
younger women may not experience as much discrimination as existed in the
past.  In fact, I believe that I, personally, have experienced little to
no sex discrimination in a work situation (I'm 30 and a postdoc, so
perhaps no longer count as "younger").  But I always knew it was out
there, saw it happen to other people, and see it all over the place in the
culture at large.  From my perspective, it is hard to miss, even if one
hasn't experienced the worst of it directed at oneself.

Karen