money

aloisia t schmid a-schmi at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 2 17:55:43 EST 1997

Dear Group,

      I haven't been reading the newsgroups lately---and just came back to
them...

      I went home recently and became aware of how much money people make in
other endeavours and was beginning to wonder really, for the first time:  If you
have a PhD in biology, what kinds of careers can you consider that will pay
you alot more money than a post-doc's salary, for example?

      I am not sure I want to make the switch to business, but if I decide
I do, I'd like
to have a better general idea of what options really exist.  One of my
sisters-in-law for example makes in excess of $100,000 per year, working as an
engineer for a company that makes articifical joints.  I don't want to be
an engineer, but are there things companies would pay me to do that I
already know and maybe take for granted?

        What are biologists equipped to compete for?

                                                         Alice Schmid