Cindy's So Long, a reprive

Cindy Hale chale at SAGE.NRRI.UMN.EDU
Thu Apr 10 12:40:43 EST 1997

Well after a few days to let the emotion settle (after finding out I was
out of a job), I felt I needed to give follow-up to my recent editorial on
the state of science and lack of money and lack of value by society...

While all I said I still believe to be true, I realize that I knew all of
that long ago and I knew there was a high likelihood that I would spend
much, if not all of my life scrambling for low paying jobs AND I still
chose this path, AND I would do it again.

I think about this in the context of people talking about what they should
or should not tell students to do with their futures.  My two cents... we
should NOT tell students what they should or should not do.  For example,
"yes, go into science because it is stimulating and interesting and ..." or
"no, don't go into science because there are no jobs and...".  It is up to
each student/person to decide for themselves what they are and are not
willing to accept in their lives.  It is our job, as mentors, to 1) give
them as much information as we can about the realities, good and bad, of a
profession they are considering and 2) ask them questions about what it is
they want in their lives, what is important to them? Money, family,
intellectual stimulation, stability, a certain lifestyle, etc.  Ask them
these questions so that they can discover for themselves what will be best
for their lives. 3) then to let them make thier own decisions.

This is not to say we should not give support to students in terms of
helping them build up self-esteem, if they lack it, by showing them
that they have aptitude and/or the intellectual ability to do science and
be a scientist if they want to.  Even if, down the road they decide to take
another path.

I will be around for another couple weeks (my advisor felt guilty so came
up with a little more money, don't get me wrong he has been a GREAT
supporter and advocate for me, it was all just a very sucky situation that
caught us both by surprise).  It has been great to be a part of this
newsgroup and I will miss it as I move on.

Thanks again to everyone for your words of support!

Cindy Hale