anxiety

Patricia S. Bowne pbowne at execpc.com
Tue Apr 15 03:43:35 EST 1997

Hi Aloisa

I used to go to lots of meetings where I wasn't presenting. It was
only a problem when there *wasn't* anyone there who knew me well
enough to ask why I wasn't presenting!

If there are people you know at the meeting who ask you this, why not
just say something like "I wanted to just listen this time" or
"Sometimes it's relaxing to go to a meeting and not have to present."
After all, lots of people would *like* to go to meetings and just
listen - but most don't have the luxury, because their institutions
won't fund travel unless they're presenting. So really, you're
enjoying a luxury. Don't apologize for it! Your attitude should be
"it's a big perk and I'm worth it!"

Boosterism aside though, a meeting can be dismal if you don't hook up
with a social group. I'd use all those people who recognize you well
enough to ask, as a social core so you can get involved in the good
discussions. And be kind -- one group that often gets completely
ignored at these affairs is the teachers who've come to try and get
up-to-date. All the researchers who are there to schmooze with each
other can snub teachers big-time; so if you see a lonely teacher
trying to look like part of a conversation, remember how anxious you
were yourself and make a new friend!
--
Patricia S. Bowne
Biology Department