anxiety

Deb Britt Deborah_Britt at brown.edu
Tue Apr 15 12:09:44 EST 1997

I don't think there is anything wrong about going to a meeting and not
presenting.  There are lots of other reasons for being there:  to learn,
to meet and mingle, and even to jump-start your motivation so you are
ready to run when you get home.  If someone asks why you aren't
presenting, say something non-committal, like "the timing didn't work out
this year" then change the subject.

I don't have any magic formula for feeling better when things aren't going
well, but just remember, it happens to everyone at times.  The approaches
I try myself are: giving a good cleanup to my lab area or office (feels
like a fresh start); spending some time organizing my thoughts, making
lists of what I have accomplished and what my goals are (and making sure
those goals are realistic); venting with friends, or discussing science
with others in the department; or sometimes just getting away from the lab
for a little while.  Of course, these are  simple solutions to occassional
down-in-the-dumps.  If your depression is long-lasting, or you feel that
your situation is intolerable, then you need to consider what is making
you unhappy, and how you can change it. Good luck.

Deb

--
Deborah Britt, Ph.D.
Department of Medical Oncology