Re. so long....

Betty Woolf woolf at mpi.com
Fri Apr 25 15:59:13 EST 1997

In article <01bc5112$09310540$0deb86cd at default>, "krhenry"
<krhenry at sirius.com> wrote:

> I have seen a couple people imply that it is seen that a non-academic path
> is seen as inferior, or for those who don't quite make the grade.  Well,
> what if I am indeed lacking what it takes and don't get into a good grad
> program?  What do I do then?  I am in serious need of guidance here.

Hi,

Without a little more info, I'm not sure I can give a helpful answer. . .

First of all, the people who think that the non-academic path is for those
who can't quite make the grade are wrong.  It's for people who don't
choose to play the academic game for whatever reason.

In what do you feel you are lacking?  Test scores? Experience?  Ambition?
"Drive"?    Is it your ambition to get an advanced degree but your test
scores/grades/experience are making it difficult to get into the program
of your choice?  I have good friends who worked as technicians in an
academic setting for a year or two before reapplying to grad school, and
they found that the experience really helped them in getting into grad
school.

What do you want to do after you get your degree?  Pure research?  Teach?
Run your own lab?  If what you want to do is become a professor/department
head at a large university, the fact is that you may not reach that goal.
But there are many, many, many rewarding careers in biology that are on
the "non-academic path."

I personally went to work in an academic lab after getting my B.S. and
what I saw there made me realize that I really didn't want to go to grad
school and follow an academic career path.  I switched to industry three
years ago and couldn't be happier.

Betty