S L Forsburg forsburg at nospamsalk.edu
Sun Aug 10 17:16:42 EST 1997

> Sarah writes:

> Husband and I recently took new tenure-track positions here, his
> first,
> my second, and we are both ranked at Associate Professor. We were
> hired
> into a neuroscience group, which contains about 9 faculty, only one of
>
> which is a woman. I hadn't met the woman until very recently because
> she
> didn't participate in our job interviews. But when we both went to see
>
> her lab (and her husband's, they work together) and to find out what
> she's doing, I wondered why she seemed very interested in my spouse's
> work but not mine. I didn't give it a further thought, but a month
> later
> we ran into her at a party given by the Dean, whereupon she promptly
> introduced my husband to her associates as "the new Professor", and
> then
> introduced me as my husband's "assistant". Husband immediately
> corrected
> her and she apologized, but it really steams me that the only woman
> colleague I have in my research area made a sexist assumption about my
>
> status.

What I find puzzling is, with only 9 faculty in the neuroscience group,
that she
could have made this mistake, and not been aware that you have your own
lab. (Do you and husband have the same name?)

I have noticed before a tendency to assume with husband-and-wife
hires that the woman "must have been hired because of her
husband".  Actually, in real life exeperience these days, I find it is
more
likely to be the other way around... :-)

--
-susan
S L Forsburg, PhD  forsburg at salk.edu
Molecular Biology and Virology Lab