postdoc disparity

rtemple at NETMAIL.HSCBKLYN.EDU rtemple at NETMAIL.HSCBKLYN.EDU
Tue Aug 12 14:56:22 EST 1997

Unionizing of the graduate students at my school has brought about 3 good things...

1) Subsidized health insurance (decent coverage, 90% employer-paid)
2) A fixed minimum stipend levels for all students with negotiated cost-of-living increases (annual), and the occasional raise
3) Legal protections from discrimination, harrassment, and gives us legal holidays & time accrued vacations (1/2 a day per month, but it's something to some people!)

Many people said that students were not around long enough to see the benefits of fighting these battles. Unionization is not the magic solution to all problems, believe me, but in our case it does ensure that we have a pseudo-living wage and some measure of employee benefits. Most people (including myself) don't think that students should be paid enough to be too comfortable (motivation to get out!), but having good insurance at rates you can afford while paying off undergraduate loans & the rent is a _real_ lifesaver! I'm not sure how the specifics of organization would work, but I'm sure that it wouldn't be impossible.

Science isn't about money and earning enough to afford that summer palace in Milan but as my department administrator said once, it's very hard to get the good education you are here for when your rent is 2/3 of your monthly earnings and even rice & beans is breaking the budget...

My $0.01 (students can't afford 2! ;) )

Robyn

Robyn Temple
graduate student in Microbiology & Immunology
SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn