postdoc disparity

PJ Schlax pjschlax at JHUVMS.HCF.JHU.EDU
Tue Aug 12 12:41:43 EST 1997

Cindy wrote:

-When I postdoced 10 years ago, I was more interested in the lab and
-project
-than the money. We had the same concerns as those posted here and
-there was
-talk of Unionizing but, since a post-doc was a temporary position, you
were
-out of it before any action such as that could take place. A post-doc
was
-looked upon as an extension of ones education and if you made enough
money
-to support yourself that was all that was necessary. I understand that
more
-and more people are having to take multiple postdocs but, if your in
Science
-for the money, you picked the wrong profession. Many NIH postdocs make
more
-than I do as an Associate professor at a small school but, it's the
choice I made.

I wanted to reply to this-

I think that doing a post doc is a very important part of training.  I
think it is a period where one can develop one's own style of doing
independent research, and to broaden the scope of one's training.

I feel a little like I'm being flamed for bringing up the topic of
disparity in pay/benefits. I certainly didn't enter science to earn a
lot of money I entered because I wanted to learn more about the universe
and how it works....- I was a chemical engineering undergraduate- I
would make more as a starting chem E than some full professors make at
some small schools-

I just find it absurd that the NIH doesn't even pretend to have a
consistent policy for the treatment of people in presumably the same
position.

-Paula