postdocs

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Wed Aug 13 14:22:26 EST 1997

>To:            womenbio at net.bio.net
>From:          apallas at ARSERRC.Gov (APALLAS)
>Subject:       Re: postdocs
>Date:          13 Aug 1997 12:03:29 -0700
>
>I don't have my Ph.D. yet, so I haven't seen that whole postdoc ball
>game, but
>here's my opinion...
>
>I consider postdocs resume boosters.  You take this 'pay-cut' kind of
>job, put
>it on your resume, and when you apply for a 'real' job with 'real' pay
>it helps
>your resume to stand out from other newly graduated Ph.D. 'postdocless'
>appliers.
>
>This may be crazy thinking, but this is my reason for when I will do a
>postdoc
>and take that ridiculous pay and lawless appointment.
>
>If someone thinks that they need to straighten my thinking...I'm all
>ears.
>

>Alicia
>
>apallas at ARSERRC.gov
>US Dept. of Agriculture
>Philadelphia, PA

OK, I'll bite.  What kind of job would you be applying for in which all
the other 2-300 applicants DIDN'T have at least 4 years of postdoctoral
experience?

It  wouldn't be large scale academia, or small scale (perhaps community
college?  but then we're talking less than $30,000 for your "dream'
job).  And it certainly wouldn't be industry-you are expected to have
done a lengthy postdoc for most industry positions too.  Just what kind
of job would have postdoc-less appliers?

Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at
Texas A&M University