Postdoc marital status (was: Re: postdoc disparity)

A. Kantola kantola at u.washington.edu
Wed Aug 13 20:15:52 EST 1997

In article <5stimk$di7 at mule.fhcrc.org>, Megan Brown <mbrown at fred> wrote:

>Actually, I have observed just the opposite where I work. It seems that
>more women postdocs are married than male postdocs. As a small but
>representative sample of how it is at my institution, consider the lab I
>work in: In the last 4 years, there have been 5 women postdocs to pass
>through. Four of five were married with children. One was single. Of the
>men, four of four were single.

...while across town at the UW, in biochemistry anyway, I think the ratio
is somewhat different. In my lab's recent history, all five male postdocs
have been married (three with kids) and the female postdoc is single.
Though admittedly I don't know the marital status of every postdoc in the
department, I'm having a difficult time thinking of unmarried male
postdocs. While some of the female postdocs in our department are married
(including one whose Very Significant Other is female; though unable to
legally marry, they're pairbonded), and fewer yet have kids, there are a
lot of female postdocs who seem to be paired-but-not-married.

Among grad students, too, quite a few more male students are married than
are female students.

Cheers,
Angie
who's planning to marry in summer '98
and would *love* to be a postdoc, rather than a student,
when she finally ties the knot!