postdocs

Sabine Dippel sabine at hlrz28.zam.kfa-juelich.de
Thu Aug 14 12:33:04 EST 1997

In article <1245481214081997.A12515.CERES.11B873302800*@MHS>,
apallas at ARSERRC.GOV (APALLAS) writes:
|> Hey everyone...
|>
|> It sounds like I shouldn't be wasting my time getting my Ph.D. because I'm
|> going to be stuck in a dead-end postdoc job for the rest of my life, or
|> teaching in some insignificant school, rather when I can go into research
|> and get paid more, although under |> some PI, with my simple BS degree,
|> since I probably will never get to be a PI with a Ph.D. because of the lack
|> of jobs.
|>
|> 	...is this what people are saying...get out while I can? Stick with
|>      a simple 	     BS or MS?
|>
|> Alicia
|> apallas at ARSERRC.Gov
|> US Dept. of Agriculture
|> Philadelphia, PA

Well, that's what people over in sci.research.careers are saying all the time.
I am in the last stages of my PhD (writing it up, bored with it, and therefore
posting here too much), I entered it with the idea of keeping up doing research
for a while and finding out if it's really a career for me (admittedly, here
graduate school lasts only approximately 3 years - at least in this institute).
I still haven't decided yet what to do - right now I'm simply writing job
applications (industry and academic) to figure out if there's a job in industry
I would like.

Definitely, I cannot speak for biology. I am a physics graduate, now in an
institute dedicated to "doing physics with BIG computers" (which is why we
are called super computing center), and all PhDs graduating here in the last
3 years got jobs - of all sorts, mainly related to computing in some way, though
not doing much programming - they all had a lot of responsibility after 1 year
on their job. So I am not too worried (only about the question if I am going
to have bigger problems finding a job because I am a woman approaching 30 -
scares some companies that you might hear your biological clock tick), and I
am glad I did my PhD. I had a great time - because I did it for the love of
it. And who knows, maybe I'll even stay in science ;-)

Sabine

| Sabine Dippel     | e-mail: s.dippel at fz-juelich.de                  |
| HLRZ              | phone : [++49] (2461) 61-2318                   |
| FZ Juelich        | fax   : [++49] (2461) 61-2430                   |
| 52425 Juelich     | WWW   : http://www.hlrz.kfa-juelich.de/~sabine/ |
| Germany           |                                                 |