Postdocs

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Thu Aug 14 10:06:20 EST 1997

>To:            womenbio at net.bio.net
>From:          cjfuller at mindspring.com (C.J. Fuller)
>Subject:       Re: Postdocs
>Date:          Thu, 14 Aug 1997 08:07:17 -0500

(LARGE SNIP)

>Amongst my group of friends and colleagues in nutrition, the consensus
>is
>that our postdoc experiences may have made us marketable for academic
>positions, but at what cost?  First we put our lives on hold for our
>PhD,
>then during our postdoc, now until we get tenure.  There may not be
>much
>life left to put on hold.

I think you just touched on a dark secret area that most scientists I
know, of both genders, would like to avoid.  Over several beers at
meetings far from home, I've heard many people, from post-doc level to
nationally recognized tenured faculty, admit to this.  But never for
more than a momemt, and never in broad daylight.  It's not unique to
science-take a look at the lawyers deciding to become high school
teachers because they want a life (which I see as a positive step).  I
just have a harder time seeing talented scientific minds peddling
software and stocks because they want a life as a good thing for society
in general.  I agree with Bart that the problem lies in the way science
is perceived and funded in the US, but more funding without an overhaul
in how we as a scientific community define a "good scientist" won't do
anything.

An interesting exercise-make 2 lists.  On one write down all the
qualities you think define a good scientist.  On another write down the
qualities you think define a successful scientist.  How many overlap?
Are any mutually exclusive?  Now try a list of what in your opinion
makes a good person and ask the same questions.  Could be a revelation
of sorts.

And now, back to that manuscript:)
Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College