postdocs -- apology

Karen Allendoerfer ravena at cco.caltech.edu
Fri Aug 15 08:34:30 EST 1997

In article <5t0qm2$57p at gap.cco.caltech.edu>, ravena at cco.caltech.edu (Karen
Allendoerfer) wrote:

 Sometimes I think that if I don't get a "real
> job" that I actually might make a good (and even reasonably happy) lab
> manager or technician (although people might consider me "overqualified").

I want to apologize sincerely for the way I wrote this.  In this sentence
it looks as if I think that lab manager/technician isn't a "real job."  I
don't mean it that way at all.  I know we've been through the requirements
for technicians and lab managers in other threads, and all the technicians
and lab managers I know are very hard-working, competent people, and are
certainly in real jobs.  It was late at night, and I was using the term
"real job" in an ironic sense, as in the narrow expectations that some
people have about what you can and ought to expect if you have a PhD.
That's no excuse though for the dismissive way that it sounds, though, and
I'm sorry, again, to anyone who might have been offended by this.

Karen Allendoerfer