postdocs to faculty- yet another point

Kimberly Walker walker at umbi.umd.edu
Sat Aug 16 10:22:13 EST 1997

On 15 Aug 1997, Julia Frugoli wrote:

> Another point about 2 year post-docs?
>
> how would someone with only a two year post-doc do in the granting pools
> as new faculty?  As my mentor has pointed out, it may be possible to get
> a faculty position on a short post-doc, but it'd be awful hard to get
> tenure, because you'd have a hard time getting funding.

Ha haha ha ha

excuse me, I have a bad cough.  Unless you have 20 papers from that 2 year
post-doc, forget it.  If you're a racial "minority" really forget it.
If you are a woman, a racial minority (which I happen to be), prepare for
4 years of post-doc at least!

Kim
of practice this: "Would you like fries with that?"