postdocs

Kimberly Snowden KCSnowden at AG.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Aug 18 16:29:02 EST 1997

I was asked to post this on behalf of Mary Ann Sesma, who reads the
newsgroup but can't post to it...
Kim

I would  ask you to send this to the newsgroup.  I  do not belong but
read
it regularly.   This might shed some light on the Post Doc issue.   I
would
be pleased if you would look it over and determine if were something
that
the New group could use.
Many Thanks,

Mary Ann Sesma
msesma at bell.K12.ca.us

 In 1947, I entered USC, and worked for female Ph.D ( Ph.D,.  from
Tulane
1909)  She was good to me, but  I had no desire to end up where she
was.  A
maiden lady, with her hair in a bun, truing up and down University
Avenue
existing on a pittance.  In 1951  (really dates me),  I graduated  from
USC, and immediately started on a grad degree in  "Bacteriology".  I had
been much impressed by the work of Avery.
I must have had a premonition about molecular biology and was charging
up
and down the literature on proteins (L. Pauling, etc.) and panting after
Ph.D.   I  immediately  became ill and that was the end   of that
effort.
I married and had  3 children.   So much for that--nobody  wanted a grad
female grad st who was married and had children.

However, there was  a need for money.  Returning   to school  I got my
secondary teaching  credential for high school in biology, chemistry and
physics (those were the terms then)(.  Taught for  28  years in some of
the
most satisfying deep poverty schools, wrote grants coming out of my
ears,
joined the union for teachers when it was finally developed and
ultimately
saw a contract!!!

Now the pay was miserable:  I have my first pay stub and is is 261.99
in
1952.  Ads my children grew I spent just about 50% of my pay on
appropriate
child care . Yeah, it was a tough go.  But I never lost my profession as
scientist--sure it changed from research to teaching in Watts, but there
were a lot of opportunities to do less formal research.  When the
Internee
became available--I was delirious.

 Here is the end of story.   Finally after my children were in high
school,
I went back to a state university got my MS in Ed  Administration.  It
was
quick down and dirty, and I did not have to do a lot a thinking.   In
about
5 years I became a principal in the Los Angeles Unified School District
at
one of the first year round high schools. Five years of this consumed me
for about 18 hours a day.   Focused  my interest on educational research
in
science and ended up winning about 15 mill in grants.  (Yes, I know
grants
were easier to come by in those years) Salary was about 90,000/year.
Most
of the male principals are PE Majors.and I was a SCIENCE MAJOR and had a
big time track record.  In other words, I was a major different
species.  .
Now, retired with a State Teacher Retirement System pay of better than
5G/month,  I  now work as a an educational consultant for schools and
make
big bucks.

This is not solving your young problems.  GET A UNION.  This pay is
intolerable.    SCREAM, MOAN,  SCREECH and COUNSEL WITH YOUR MENTOR.
ALSO
INVEST YOUR MONEY, even a little bit.   The overload is high in women in
biology with Ph.D's as per Science:  they make a whacking lot less than
teachers in a large city school  district.   I have hired outstand
female
Ph.D's in science at 45.000 /year plus benefits wihich add to to a +12%.
If a Ph.D. get in a year round  school they can  make much much more.

The moral of the story:  You are entitled to the most  you can earn but
you
have to be top notch to get that top dollar.

Best to all of you,
Mary Ann Sesma
Principal (Secondary, Los Angeles Unified School District)
Co-PI : Hispanic Educational Genome Project, California State
University,
Los Angeles