British PhDs (was:postdocs to faculty)

Dr S Gibson sag at dml.ac.uk
Wed Aug 20 14:41:48 EST 1997

Hi

i finished my PhD in Scotland (the UK) in 1994. This 4 year thing was
implemente by one of the grant awarding bodies, what happens is that a
student receives a grant for 3 years of study but has to submit there
thesis within 4 years, or else the instutute/department/supervisor that
there work was for is disqualified from receiving a grant for another
student for a certain amount of time.  Fine in practise but for the
student it means after 3 years you have no funding and are left to write
up your PhD whilst unemployed, as many employers make it a condition that
you must have finished writting up.
I dont mean to make it sound grim, but it can be for some. personally i
was lucky i had a fair  boss, a great time and all went well.  im now
doing the post doc  bit, and find all the negative coments from overseas
very discouraging.  I wouldnt say our system is much different, maybe its
just my attitude that is.

Dr S