tears in the river

Susan Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Aug 20 16:07:24 EST 1997

puppy wrote:

>... At 2pm I called the state back and found that the town of Garner had
> called in at 12:30pm to report a ruptured 16-inch forced main that
> eventually spilled more than a million gallons of raw sewage into a
> nearby creek that followed a tributary over to Swift Creek(my creek),
> which in turn empties into the horribly troubled Neuse River.
>
> I went back to the creek bank and tried to rescue the struggling fish
> but to no avail. I just sat on the bank and cried.

You certainly have my sympathy, as I also live in North Carolina.

But I'm not so sure what you mean by this...

> My job is not just a
> job, it's a responsibility.  I work so hard to protect that creek and
> some big plant with no alarm back up to notify anyone of a problem,
> destroys it all. God help us all.

Is it common practice for large sewage plants to have "alarm back ups"?
What would have notification of you have been able to accomplish - could
you have saved your fish? (Really, I'm just curious).

Since we live in an industrial society, we do have problems with wastes,
and a certain number of failures are to be expected. While North
Carolina has certainly had more than its share of failures lately, we
have to recognize that we have problems to solve - not blame to spread.

It is possible that there is criminal negligence, of course. But not
every sewage spill is a result of Corporate Greed in Action.

I could make a bad joke here about "shit happens", but I won't...

Reallu, though - I do sympathise; it's just that I'm not sure who (if
anyone) you are blaming...

--
Susan
"We have politics.  We just haven't offended each other with it yet.