science outreach

Karen Allendoerfer ravena at cco.caltech.edu
Sat Aug 23 09:41:56 EST 1997

In article <cboake-2008971018030001 at eco20.bio.utk.edu>, cboake at utk.edu (C.
Boake) wrote:

> What forms of outreach have worked for members of this group?  Do you have
> arguments, demonstrations, or other effective ways of communicating about
> your work with nonscientists?

One thing that I got involved with that has been really fun, is CAPSI, the
Caltech Precollege Science Initiative

http://www.caltech.edu/~capsi

This program focuses on building partnerships between scientists at
Caltech and public school elementary teachers.  It has a somewhat defined
curriculum, so what I've done hasn't involved my own work, per se, but it
has involved assisting teachers in building hands-on biology experiments
for their classes.  The teachers involved in the project have reported
that their students love science--it's one of their favorite subjects and
they ask for more of it.

Karen