science outreach

Karen Allendoerfer ravena at
Sat Aug 23 09:41:56 EST 1997

In article <cboake-2008971018030001 at>, cboake at (C.
Boake) wrote:

> What forms of outreach have worked for members of this group?  Do you have
> arguments, demonstrations, or other effective ways of communicating about
> your work with nonscientists?

One thing that I got involved with that has been really fun, is CAPSI, the
Caltech Precollege Science Initiative

This program focuses on building partnerships between scientists at
Caltech and public school elementary teachers.  It has a somewhat defined
curriculum, so what I've done hasn't involved my own work, per se, but it
has involved assisting teachers in building hands-on biology experiments
for their classes.  The teachers involved in the project have reported
that their students love science--it's one of their favorite subjects and
they ask for more of it.