Positive comments?

Phoebe Rice price at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Sun Aug 24 13:20:53 EST 1997

> doing science is great....i would not want to doanyting else...
> but it is tough probably one of the most difficult professions

I don't mean to sound Polyanna-ish, and I'll admit that I'm very happy with
my career now, but there are ALOT of people out there in stressfull,
low-paying jobs that are don't come with the intellectual satisfaction that
ours (often) do.  Last time I saw a figure for the average income for a
family of four in this country I remember thinking it was comparable to what
a post-doc makes.  This isn't to say that post-docs shouldn't get paid
more, just that they're certainly not alone.

"Market" discussions are also somewhat difficult because most of us
academic types are living off the taxpayers.

				Phoebe Rice