Writing Proposals: Science or Not?

Susan Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Sun Aug 24 12:18:16 EST 1997

Sarah L. Pallas wrote:

> ... I love DOING science but don't get
> to spend enough time.  Instead, I teach, write grants,...

I hear this complaint a lot. It seems a shame that being a PhD *student*
selects for people who *love* the bench, and will work endlessly on the
minutia of science, while being a lab PI actually neccesitates a more
"big picture" view of science.

Personally, I look *forward* to running a lab; I think I can accomplish
more in science than just running a few experiments.

I haven't written any formal proposals yet, but even the small amount of
writing required by my prof/committee seems to facus my thinking and
lead to new ideas. Sometimes I wonder if grant proposals and
publications aren't the *meat* of science; after all, what's the good of
doing a bunch of experiments if no one ever finds out about them, and
has the meaning of them explained?

"We have politics.  We just haven't offended each other with it yet.
Religion works just fine." --oTTo--