alternative careers for PhDs

Rae Nishi nishir at ohsu.edu
Tue Aug 26 10:07:14 EST 1997

In article <34019378.7890 at isisph.com>
Laurel Spear Bernstein <lbernstein at isisph.com> writes:

> Rae,
> This was a very supportive and informative post, but you inadvertently
> tripped a pet peeve of mine-  I would not say these people have "left
> science." They may not be at the bench, but they are very much still in
> science. Graduate students and postdocs in science have been taught for
> too long that there is only one way to do science, i.e., at the bench.
> We are finally beginning to get beyond that- so let's keep it up!
>
> Laurel
>
> Laurel Bernstein, Ph.D.
> Registered patent agent
> Isis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

OOPS!  I meant academic (as in the traditional grant/teaching/committee
work rat race) science.  You're completely correct-- the alternative
careers I gave are simply different ways of actually staying in
science.  Hopefully, NIH will redefine what they think is "success" at
training-- right now, it's considered a "failure" if your trainee ends
up in any of these alternative careers.

Rae Nishi, PhD
Professor
Dept. Cell & Developmental Biology