alternative careers for PhDs

Rae Nishi nishir at ohsu.edu
Tue Aug 26 15:40:40 EST 1997

In article <5tuvlb$io6 at zam201.zam.kfa-juelich.de>
sabine at hlrz28.zam.kfa-juelich.de (Sabine Dippel) writes:

> ut this is completely crazy! That way my advisor would be a complete
> failure, since only 2 out of 10 students of his so far remained in
> academic science. All the others got well-paying jobs in industry which
> they are happy in. I would rather call it a success, because 2 out of 10
> students may actually find academic positions in the long run as well,
> while all 10 would never be able to do so (assuming that for every advisor
> things would go like this). Do these people know nothing about growth
> processes???!!!!
>
> Sabine,
> who takes every opportunity to escape from writing the most important
> chapter in her thesis, and thus adds her 0.02$ to nearly everything
> posted here....

Let me clarify again-- It's OK with NIH if your trainee continues doing
scientific research (industry or academic setting), but it's not OK if
they go to law school (patent lawyer), scientific journalism, tech
transfer etc.

I guess this is what I get for sending these messages on the fly (eg.,
coffee breaks and waiting for appointments to show up).

Rae Nishi, PhD
Professor
Dept. Cell & Developmental Biology
Oregon Health Sciences University