HS Students and

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Tue Dec 2 19:31:38 EST 1997

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Catherine Sarisky wrote:

> Karen Allendoerfer wrote:
>
> > I was a "gifted" student too, and two years ahead in school (graduated
> > at 16) besides, and I got a LOT of that--I think I can sympathize.  But
> > at least in my case, it didn't lead to an inflated sense of self-worth,
> > but rather a sense that nothing I could do was ever good enough.
>
> That wa my experience as well.  Perhaps the biggest drawback of an honors
> school is that you never get the sense of being "the best" at anything.  I was
> always just in the pack.. never near the top.  It wasn't until I got to
> college that it dawned on me that I was actually *good* at anything.

Another person weighing in. I, too was an honors student. It didn't give
me an inflated sense of self-worth either. At my highschool, it was
definitely not a "cool" thing to be good at academics. So feeling uncool,
I felt like the only thing I *had* going for me was getting those "A"'s.
My self-worth was definitely tied into my grades and being the "best" in
the classes I cared about.  I am afraid that carried over into my freshman
year of college as well.

I wonder about something. Although when I didn't get A's in college, I
figured it was either my fault and studied harder, or because I really
wasn't engaged in the class material, maybe some students' sense of self
depends so much on getting the good grades that they are some of the ones
who are being the pains about it in class. Far from an over-inflated sense
of self-worth, it is, like it was for me in highschool, their only sense
of self-worth. This does not justify cheating by any means!

Linnea