that first "real" job and getting promoted

S L Forsburg forsburg at nospamsalk.edu
Wed Dec 3 10:27:21 EST 1997

> From: mertz at oncology.wisc.edu ("Janet Mertz")

> However, recently the rates of achieving tenure have been
> similar for men and women (except in the medical school?),
>  possibly  due to the institution of both informal mentoring
> with other women faculty and formal, required mentoring
> and annual review of all  tenure-track faculty.

That sounds sensible.  I wish it were more common.  But what
if there are few other women faculty? (Could that be part of the
problem with your med school...?)  And what about encouraging
mentoring between senior faculty men and junior women?  I
am coming to think that the failure of THAT sort of relationship
is a real problem for the advancement of young women, because
after all, most senior faculty are men--and these are the guys
voting on promotions.

> Women and minorities continue to be grossly underrepresented in the
> pool of applicants. Are women self-selecting themselves out of
> high-powered positions and/or white males inducing applications
> through the old boys network?

I think that would be a resounding "yes", on both counts!
We also see an under-representation of women in the applicant pool.
Part of this, I have come to believe, reflects the sort of
mentoring support that the men receive, both in being encouraged
in their efforts to get a job, and in the mentor making the calls
necessary to push their candidacy. Women are just not plugged in
in the same way.   Another part reflects a
higher probability that women won't put up with the blatant
 favoritism and the heirarchical culture of science. Which just
ends up supporting the status quo.

--
-susan
S L Forsburg, PhD  forsburg at salk.edu