Women in THE SCIENTIST

Melanie S. Kennedy kennedy.7 at osu.edu
Wed Dec 3 13:52:51 EST 1997

Janet Merz wrote:

>However, recently the rates of achieving tenure have been
>similar for men and women (except in the medical school?),

The medical school problem could be more prominent for M.D.'s
than Ph.D.'s.  At many schools the patient care expectation is
considerable, and few M.D.'s have much experience doing
research, so making tenure can be quite difficult.  A recent
article (in JAMA, I think) from Johns Hopkins detailed their
efforts to help the women in their department succeed.  The
project included mentors, assuring research resources,
networking, and care and feeding by the chair, among
other things.  Their data were quite impressive.  I can find
the article if anyone is interested.

Melanie S. Kennedy, M.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Pathology