Putting up with it...or dropping out?

S L Forsburg forsburg at nospamsalk.edu
Thu Dec 4 14:39:37 EST 1997

> From: junekk at aol.com (JuneKK)

> I wonder if this has anything to do with a recent finding that women
> who study under women mentors have a higher rate of attrition in
> science than those studying under men mentors; reported at the time
> as being because (paraphrasing): "women see the lifestyle of women
> mentors and the fact they have no life, etc..."

Upon thinking about it, I think this attrition may reflect that every
woman (or man for that matter) has a certain level of tolerance
for the slings and arrows of the profession.  The road is tougher
for women, and we have to put up with a lot more.  Ultimately
there is a straw that breaks you and it just isn't worth putting
up with it any more.  Working for a woman, maybe it builds up faster
because the boss is getting it too.

Great, now I'm REALLY worried about my studenst and postdocs...

It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg, PhD  forsburg at salk.edu
Molecular Biology and Virology Lab
The Salk Institute, La Jolla CA