Mentoring

Mary Ann Sesma msesma at zeus.bell.k12.ca.us
Mon Dec 15 00:57:48 EST 1997

>Upon thinking about it, I think this attrition may reflect that every
>woman (or man for that matter) has a certain level of tolerance
>for the slings and arrows of the profession.  The road is tougher
>for women, and we have to put up with a lot more.  Ultimately
>there is a straw that breaks you and it just isn't worth putting
>up with it any more.  Working for a woman, maybe it builds up faster
>because the boss is getting it too.
>
>Great, now I'm REALLY worried about my studenst and postdocs...

>-susan

Susan:

If I were young and had all my science skills in place, I would be desire
to have you as my   mentor.  You are a tough but compassionate lady.   But
let us be real-- I have mentored many (over 40) men and women  in my
profession.   I found that the attrition rate was basically due to the
willingness to work  of the mentee . (male or female).  If the
work/study/learn/.practice patterns were not in place in the mentee it was
hopeless.    As you so neatly put :
>attrition may reflect that every
>woman (or man for that matter) has a certain level of tolerance
>for the slings and arrows of the profession and they can certainly be great.

I found that by and large the women were more able to deal with the slings
and arrows but did not advance to higher levels in the profession except in
one male--who was outstanding.

Keep it up because your students and postdocs will never know about the s
and a's  without you.  Maybe the efforts you  place on your mentorships
will bear  fruit.   And I am no so sure that attrition is all that bad.

Mary Ann Sesma

Mary Ann Sesma                          e mail
1621 Sunnyhill Drive                    msesma at bell.k12.ca.us (preferred)
Monterey Park, CA 91754                 sesma at aol.com
phone; (213)261-5860
fax:(213)261-8692