Curve Ball-single gender education

Michelle Garrison garrison at u.washington.edu
Tue Dec 16 12:36:05 EST 1997

You were lucky in your professors -- in my experience, it is mainly the
teachers who determine whether or not gender bias is going to be a
problem.  If I had gone to a women's college, I might still be in chemistry.

There was a chem elective that I wanted to take -- there was only one prof
who ever taught it, and everyone had warned me not to, that he was a sexist
pig.  Still, I thought that I should have the opportunity to take the class.
I was the only female out of about 25 students.  The professor told my
lab partner (in front of the class) on the first day to just put my name on
his (the lab partner's work) and that he (the prof) would count the grade
for both of us.  The prof then told me that he didn't expect me to be able
to do the work in the class.  When we took the exams, the prof would tell
me (again, in front of the class) that I could use my book and/or stay and
finish the exam after class if I needed to (these were NOT options given
to the other students in the class).

When I complained about the prof, I was simply told that he had tenure, and
was not going to lose his position for anything less than murdering a
student.

When I eventually changed my major (to microbiology), it was not because
my self-esteem had suffered, or because I didn't believe I was good at
chemistry any more.  I knew then and know now that I have the intelligence
and skills to succeed in chemistry.  I left the field because the idea of
spending
my life in a field where a man like that was valued more than I ever could
be
was totally repulsive.

Women are more equally represented (and sometimes over-represented) in
the biological than physical sciences.  Some people say that this is because
these are the "soft" sciences, more suited to women -- I think it is more
likely
that women tend to find areas where they, their intelligence, and ideas,
will
be respected and valued.

--
Michelle Garrison