Positive feedback.

C.J. Fuller cjfuller at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 18 11:31:36 EST 1997

Susan-This really rubs a nerve for me.  I was clinically depressed during
most of my postdoc.  Nothing I did was right.  I had my name on more
papers than most of the other postdocs in my dept at that time, but I was
basically ignored by the head honcho and others.  It could have been
gender, but it was more likely that I was a PhD at a medical school.  In
addition, this dept is not known for attracting US citizen postdocs.  For
half my time there I was the only US citizen.  I asked for and made more
money than my contemporaries from Italy, India, Spain, etc.  I knew what
the cost of living was, and I was not going to go there for a measly
18K/yr.

I was very lucky to find my current position.  The positive feedback I get
>From my colleagues here has been a refreshing change.  I purposely chose
not to try for a job at a major research university because I didn't want
to be ground into hamburger meat and wind up without tenure.

On another topic, a friend of mine just got narrowly rejected for tenure
by her colleagues at a major university in a large, diverse dept.  The
faculty in the other building across campus were the ones who dinged her.
The reason given was insufficient publications.  However, she does human
studies, which do not have the quick turnaround that in vitro work has.
She has 9 publications in high citation journals, however.  She is in
shock.  What's even worse, her performance evaluations have always been
excellent.  Any words from the wise on how to help my friend?

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller
<mailto:cjfuller at erickson.uncg.edu>