Recent job search

Anil Prabhakar anilp+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 4 06:17:22 EST 1997

birkelan at nospam.mail.med.upenn.edu (MB) writes:

> All of my interviews were in response to CVs sent either to job ads or to
> job fairs.  I sent my CV to at least 6-8 headhunters, and only heard from
> one of them, who had actually first called one of my fellow post-docs in
> lab.  This resulted in no interviews, or even phone screenings. All the
> 'networking' I tried was totally ineffectual.

There is a God! I am glad the good old fashioned way of finding a job
works. This networking thing is a royal waste of time for someone
interested in doing an honest day's research. We need more employers out
there willing to hire people because they are good and not because
they have the time to spend pushing phone buttons or "networking".

Hmm. Sounds like I've had a bad experience. Not really, I'm just very
opinionated about the way things tend to happen in today's world.

Anil