job searches

Megan megan at ucla.edu
Mon Feb 3 19:11:08 EST 1997

At 11:31 PM 2/3/97 GMT, Kylie Shanahan wrote:
<lots snipped>
> It really makes me wonder if I'll ever
>succeed in science, or even if I *want* to, if I'm going to be constantly
>fighting against that kind of institutional ignorance.
>
>Kylie.

Dont get out of science just because it is dominated by "ignorant" men!!! I
think the hope is that women will become more integrated in the system, even
if slowly, and more and more of us are speaking up, and pointing out to
others the lack of women speakers, or candidates, or whatever.  Eventually,
I feel (hope!) that this discrepancy will be diminished.  It is my
impression that younger men are more aware of womens issues in hiring, and
the old "ignorant" ones will eventually retire and move out of the system -
they can't live forever!!  And of course, this gets us back to the leaky
pipeline discussion, because the more women there are around, the less
likely it is that women candidates will be dropped from the short lists, or
not invited to speak, at least without one of the women speaking up about it
(as was the case you described).  If we all leave, it will take that much
longer to accomplish this.  Of course, there are many other, more personal
reasons to leave academic science, I just hope we dont leave because of old
ignorant men who are afraid of intelligent women.

cheers,

Megan
megan at ucla.edu