job searches

S L Forsburg forsburg at nospamsalk.edu
Wed Feb 5 08:35:39 EST 1997

Mary Ann Cushman wrote:

> In the same vein-there's the notion of the 'new old boy'-that is, the
> younger man who should have very
> enlightened ideas considering the era in which he was raised, and the
 > fact that his mother and sisters have
> careers, but somehow doesn't.

Yes, there is an interesting phenomenon of the young neanderthal.
Like the two young male postdocs down the hall, who attended
a seminar by a big shot that was filled with glowing references
to the big shot's star (female) postdoc, and afterwards complained
that she was probably sleeping with him (well, a woman couldnt
be that good, right?)

The same two are very troubled that women have such an unfair
advantage in the job market.  No doubt explaining why women make
up such a HUGE percentage of the new hires....yeah, right.

>This makes me think a lot of it also has to do with personality and gender--
> specific behavior patterns, not just a lack of awareness
> or a poor education on the value of women.

I think a lot of them are simply threatened by smart people who
look different than they do.  They are insecure.

> Whether
> its intentional or instinctual, women can easily get left
> out of the network in very subtle to not so subtle
> ways.

And do, routinely.  But then, we just don't "play the game"
right, do we?

Note heavy irony.

-- susan

NOTE Don't reply to email address in header!
It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg          forsburg at salk.edu
The Salk Institute    http://flosun.salk.edu/~forsburg
La Jolla, CA