job searches

Mary Ann Cushman cushmam at okstate.edu
Wed Feb 5 12:49:17 EST 1997

In the same vein-there's the notion of the 'new old boy'-that is, the younger man who should have very
enlightened ideas considering the era in which he was raised, and the fact that his mother and sisters have
careers, but somehow doesn't.  This makes me think a lot of it also has to do with personality and gender--
specific behavior patterns, not just a lack of awareness or a poor education on the value of women. Whether
its intentional or instinctual, women can easily get left out of the network in very subtle to not so subtle
ways. But I have also seen the phenom described in earlier postings about misunderstanding of the intention
and application of affirmative action. The 'oh, no, do I have to hire a woman (or minority)!' The gyrations
I've seen some people go through to act like they're following the rules to the letter, yet discouraging all
perfectly (often highly) qualified applicants who aren't the gender or race they would prefer, while they bring
along and encourage some mediocre candidate because 'he needs a job-he has a family to support...' well, so
do a lot of single moms I know. The latter situation did not involve a faculty hire, but a senior level support
position.
Would you like some cheese with that whine? One must keep a sense of humor.
Mer