Junk mail

S L Forsburg forsburg at nospamsalk.edu
Fri Feb 14 04:14:16 EST 1997

> Cindy Hale wrote:
> >
> > This kind of advertising is not the purpose of this list!  I am so sick of
> > this junk mail.  For every one message I read, I delete at least two of
> > these idiotic things!

Some strategies for dealing with this spam have been discussed here.
However, it is the price we pay for free, unrestricted newsgroup
access.  Unless someone has the time to moderate this group (I
certainly don't), we are going to see it here.  (I'd like to see the
email spammers hit with the same rule the FAX spammers were hit
with:  I shouldnt have to pay to receive their garbage.)

So, what can you do?  Here are some more ideas:
access the group through a news reader or the bionet world wide
web pages (http://www.bio.net/hypermail/WOMENINBIOLOGY/), instead
of through the list server.  This way it's easier to skip over the
offending messages and they don't clog your email account.

Try my trick of the spam-free email address.  I am active on
a couple of comp. newsgroups and the robots LOVE to scavenge
email addresses from the headers of posts.  The junk mail in
 my email box has declined precipitously since I changed to the
fake email address.

The internet is thankfully still a free-for-all.
It isn't surprising that commercial interests are trying to
take advantage of it. I myself prefer the cacophony of voices,
even the irritating ones, to the alternative of government
intervention, regulation, or censorship.

--susan

:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend,
to the death, your right to say it."
               Voltaire

NOTE Don't reply to email address in header!
It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg          forsburg at salk.edu
The Salk Institute    http://flosun.salk.edu/~forsburg
La Jolla, CA