Research ethics survey

JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Tue Feb 18 12:34:17 EST 1997

I have a rather unusual request, but I would appreciate a few minutes of
your time (does this sound like a telemarketer?  Sorry!)

I participated in an NSF workshop last year on Teaching Research Ethics,
and ended up as one of 5 participants in the workshop asked to give a
presentation at the National Ethics Meeting in Washington, DC (funny
place to talk about ethics!) in two weeks.  Each of us will discuss an
aspect of research ethics covered in the original workshop. By luck of
the draw, I ended up with mentor-student relationships.  One of the
topics we talked about  during the workshop was the problem of sometimes
conflicting  but unvoiced expectations between grad students, post-docs
and PIs.  If you fall into any of these three categories, (and you don't
have to be female to do this!) I would greatly appreciate it if you
would take 10 minutes to fill out the following questionnaire to help me
with my presentation. I realize that the replies will not be totally
anonymous, but I will not use any names in my presentation.   If you
wish to participate, please copy the message, type in your replies, and
respond by next Monday February 24th.  Some of these questions may
provoke interesting newsgroup discussion, so if you feel comfortable
posting your replies to the newsgroup as a whole, go ahead.  Otherwise,
just email back to me.  If anyone wants a synopsis of the responses,
I'll be more than willing to post them AFTER the Ethics Meeting (time
pressure is a bit intense right now).  And thanks in advance for those
of you who give of your precious time!

1) Does a written description exist for your job?  Did you see it before
you began the job?

2) Are there unwritten expectations  for your position?  Do they come
from more than one source? Do any of them conflict with the written
description, or are they all in addition to the written description?

Please answer the all following questions, whether you're a grad
student, PI or post-doc.  Warning-they may be harder than they initially
look!

3) What should the responsibilities of a PI to a grad student be?

4) What should the responsibilities of a PI to a post-doc be?

5) What are the responsibilities of a PI to the university?

6) What should to responsibilities of a grad student to a PI be?

7) What should the responsibilities of a post-doc to a PI be?

I am a (check one)
___grad student
___post-doc
___PI