Seeking a BIOnic woman

Veronica I. Arreola varreo1 at uic.edu
Tue Feb 18 18:33:58 EST 1997

On 18 Feb 1997, Linnea Ista wrote:

> Did I miss something over the weekend? Has the name of the group been
> changed to "women in biology newsgroup and singles bar?"
> Or could this post be considered a "job announcement?"
>
> Just wondering if I was the only one who was disconcerted by this post!
>
> Linnea

No, you're not the only one. When I started to read it , I was like, what
the ....??? But you know we are a bunch of women and what better way to
find an intelligent women but to post here? ;) Hey I'm only kidding!  I
guess that's the price we pay by not having this moderated.

Let's get on to something bigger...

How do you all feel about grad students getting an empahsis in
women's/feminist/gender studies that focused on women in science? Do you
think that being knowledgable in our (aka women in science) history is
important enough for women to be "certified" (lack of better word) in the
area?

Many times we have discussed women in science courses, but who teaches
these?  Scientists who know little about feminist theory or women who know
tons on feminist theory but know very little about how science and how it
feels to be a women scienctist?

Excuse the typos, please!! Comments? No flames please.

Veronica I. Arreola
University of Illinois - Chicago
"Monster?"  "Yeah, we do monsters. It's not slimy is it?"
	-Herc and Iolaus "Encounter"