Women in Science Courses (was BIOnic woman)

JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Wed Feb 19 13:24:13 EST 1997

 (Linnea Ista) wrote
<snip>

>Would it have helped had I had a more formal grounding in gender
>studies?
>At least for resources, definitely. I think if I had to do it again, it
>would be cool to team teach it with someone who *does* have a formal
>grounding in gender studies. But would I seek formal training
>throughout
>my graduate career to teach just one class? I don't know if most
>universities, especially small ones, like the one that I was at, have
>the
>resources to hire someone to teach just one class.
>
>Just my $0.02
>Great topic, by the way!
>Linnea

I think Linnea makes a great point here and it immediately made me think
of the "Teaching Research Ethics" workshop I went to (because I'm
re-immersed in it at the moment).  The idea was to take young scientists
and give them a brief but intensive introduction to what's out there in
"Science Ethics".  We did a lot of reading pre-workshop, but the
resources we came away  with (books, contacts, newsletters, reference
lists) were enough to make me feel confident to put together a course on
my own. I would never have enough time to formally pursue a degree in
scientific ethics just to teach a single course (there are people with
ethics training who specialize in science, and history training who
specialize in history of science ethics, etc) but this 4 day,
all-day-and-into-the-night-at-the-pub immersion in ethical theory and
practice was great.

I wonder if the same thing could be done with "women and science"?  (I
see an NSF grant idea here for someone who wants to pursue it-the ethics
workshop is funded by NSF).

Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at