Women in/and Science

muriel lederman mstorrie at vt.edu
Wed Feb 19 12:12:48 EST 1997

There is a topic I can speak to on the basis of experience - wow! I have
taught "Gender and Science" for four years. Note the title of the course -
it is not "The Biology of Women" nor "Women in Science". the course I teach
is predominantly about the feminist critique of science. I am completely
self-taught in the area.  I didn't think it was really hard to get the main
points - I'm sure I miss subtleties, especially in Donna Haraway's work.

In a perfect world, such training should be available to anyone who is
interested, not even necessarily to be able to teach a course later, but
just to know how science works. To Cynthia I offer a compromise - why not
teach a one credit course on the sociology of science? Students know
nothing about the social construction of science - to me, any scientist to
gets an undergraduate degree without having read Kuhn's "The Structure of
Scientific Revolutions" has been done a disservice. If you start with that,
you could easily move into the feminist critique for a (small) portion of
the course. Cynthia, if you want to pursue this, email me directly
(lederman at vt.edu).

Another query to the whole list. Either through this list or WISENET, I got
together with Ingrid Bartsch at the University of South Florida and we are
contemplating putting together a current anthology in the general area of
the feminist critique. Two requests - please let me know if your
institution teaches a course for which such a book might be the text AND do
you have a favorite chapter that we should include - trolling for
referneces that I might not know.

Thanks much! Muriel

Muriel Lederman           lederman at vt.edu     540.231.5702 (phone)
Department of Biology                         540.231.9307 (fax)
Interim Coordinator, Biological Sciences
   Initiative
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg VA 24061-0406