Women in Science

Cynthia M. Galloway c-galloway at TAMUK.EDU
Wed Feb 19 11:29:19 EST 1997

I am scheduled to teach an undergraduate seminar course next fall and I get
to pick the topic.  The students would all be Biology seniors and the class
is for 1 unit of credit.  Usually the class involves students giving oral
presentations over a topic, or going through a book, chapter by chapter,
with each student leading the discussion on the chapter.  I thought it might
be interesting to get a book on Women in Science and their discoveries and
follow past formats.  I was a little hesitant about having such a topic with
both male and female students in the class so, I asked some of my male
advisees what they thought about the idea and it was 100% against!  They
said maybe if the women talked about women and the men talked about men it
would be okay but, they still didn't like the idea.  Some of the opposition
is cultural but, I am even more in support of doing something on this topic
since getting a resounding thumbs down from the male students.

Any comments???

Cyndy

Dr. Cynthia M. Galloway
Assoc. Professor of Biology