Women in/and Science

Kylie.Shanahan at ffp.csiro.au Kylie.Shanahan at ffp.csiro.au
Thu Feb 20 00:18:00 EST 1997

In article <v01510103af309aff326b@[128.173.187.13]>,
   mstorrie at vt.edu (muriel lederman) wrote:

>In a perfect world, such training should be available to anyone who is
>interested, not even necessarily to be able to teach a course later, but
>just to know how science works. To Cynthia I offer a compromise - why not
>teach a one credit course on the sociology of science? Students know
>nothing about the social construction of science - to me, any scientist to
>gets an undergraduate degree without having read Kuhn's "The Structure of
>Scientific Revolutions" has been done a disservice. If you start with that,
>you could easily move into the feminist critique for a (small) portion of
>the course. Cynthia, if you want to pursue this, email me directly
>(lederman at vt.edu).

I agree wholeheartedly, Muriel!  If everyone studied at the least, sociology
of science, we'd all be better scientists (especially if there was an ethics
component!)  There's a great book that gives a general overview of a number of
 authors of scientific theories, including Kuhn, Latour, Lakatos, Feyerabend,
Popper et al, if Kuhn on its own seems a bit dry.  Not only does the book
outline the concepts of each theory, but it critiques each also - I found it
invaluable in explaining Kuhn's theory fully.  It's called "Whys and Ways of
Science", by Peter J. Riggs, published by Melbourne University Press in
either 1991 or 1992.  It was the text for my sociology of science course
(along with many of the originals it draws on) and it's a great starter text.
 Sorry to rave, we've stumbled onto one of my favourite topics.  Once I've
finished with the PhD in plant pathology, I'm hoping to go do a Masters in
History and Philosophy of Science, preferably with an emphasis on gender and
science.

Cheers,

Kylie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~