Women in Science

Mr. W.Y. Chan wahchan at liverpool.ac.uk
Fri Feb 21 09:21:38 EST 1997

Cynthia M. Galloway (c-galloway at TAMUK.EDU) wrote:
: I am scheduled to teach an undergraduate seminar course next fall and I get
: to pick the topic.  The students would all be Biology seniors and the class
: is for 1 unit of credit.  Usually the class involves students giving oral
: presentations over a topic, or going through a book, chapter by chapter,
: with each student leading the discussion on the chapter.  I thought it might
: be interesting to get a book on Women in Science and their discoveries and
: follow past formats.  I was a little hesitant about having such a topic with
: both male and female students in the class so, I asked some of my male
: advisees what they thought about the idea and it was 100% against!  They
: said maybe if the women talked about women and the men talked about men it
: would be okay but, they still didn't like the idea.  Some of the opposition
: is cultural but, I am even more in support of doing something on this topic
: since getting a resounding thumbs down from the male students.

: Any comments???

: Cyndy

My friend, who is a woman, was once a feminist long before the sixties
but her wisdom has changed over the years and I find myself agreeing
to her opinions regarding equality. Well recently her son was studying
for a business course and one of the subject he has to do is "Women in
Business Management", well she reacted angrily, to our surprise, because
part of the idea of that particular subject was to understand and promote
women's place in management, but her opinion was "why on earth should
women be made a "special case", by doing so meants women has difficulty
becomming boss and therefore needs help" and equally she thinks no
attention are paid to men and male needs.
I do not think it is particularly fair to both men and women if one gender
is targeted for attention, perhaps you can teach on the first week
"Men is Science" and the next week "women in Science", that way all your
student can see both sides of the wall.

	Wah.

: Dr. Cynthia M. Galloway
: Assoc. Professor of Biology