Women in Science Courses

S L Forsburg forsburg at nospamsalk.edu
Mon Feb 24 02:31:27 EST 1997

Margaret Alic wrote:

> I have found this to be an interesting topic and wanted to add a bit of
> "historic" perspective.  For several years in the 1970s, I taught a
> History
> of Women in Science course at Portland State University

......(snip).......

>  At the time, I had a BA in biology, was working as a
> research technician, and was involved in the women's movement.  The
> Women's Studies Program had put out a call to the community for someone to
> teach such a course.  Although I knew very little about the subject --
> I had just read Anne Sayre's book "Rosalind Franklin and DNA" -- I
> presumed, correctly it turned out, that no one else knew much about the
> subject either.  At the time, nothing had been written for at least 50
> years on women scientists in history.  So the students went to the
> library and began to do their own research and so did I. Eventually I
> turned my research into a book ("Hypatia's Heritage: A History of Women in
> Science from Antiquity through the Nineteenth Century" Beacon Press,
> Boston; The Women's Press, London, 1986).

I'm very impressed that you not only taught the course but wrote
a book from it!  Judging from your return address you are still
doing science, so a book on history is breadth with a vengeance.
Now *that's* what I call scholarship.  I am now going to look for
your book!

Out of curiosity about the logistical side, how did you manage to turn
your work into an actual book?  Did you pitch the idea to the publisher
or get an agent or talk to the university press or what?

-- susan

NOTE Don't reply to email address in header!
It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg          forsburg at salk.edu
The Salk Institute    http://flosun.salk.edu/~forsburg
La Jolla, CA