Dissertation Defense

Kathie Berghorn kab35 at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 25 10:50:10 EST 1997

Jennifer,
	I too was a nervous wreck as my dissertation defense drew near.  Then
two days before "the big day"  I decided that I knew my data better than
anyone else on my committee and I worked my tail off to get get this far
so I would believe in myself and "just do it".  The outcome was better
than I could have imagined! In fact, one professor who made comments
about my lack of self-confidence throughout my graduate program
approached me after my seminar and congratulated me on a job well done.
He told me he was impressed with my presentation and I should keep it
up.  Then during my defense my committee didn't talk about my data,
rather I was questioned about what the next experiments would be given
my results.  It was more like a group of colleagues discussing research
rather then the Spanish Inquisition.  All in all, I must say it was an
exhilarating experience!
	My advice would be as has been discussed in this    newsgroup is to
believe in yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!  Easier said than done, I know :)

Kathie