Research ethics survey

JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Tue Feb 25 18:49:58 EST 1997

Pheobe Rice wrote:
>It seems to me that most people (pretty much) agree in any discussion
>of
>abstract
>ethics - the big arguements come up when people try to apply them (or
>weasel
>out
>of them).

My point in one part of the ethics presentation (which I'm trying to
reenforce with real life survey results) is that often there is not
agreement on what the "responsibilities" of scientific positions are-and
that there is the assumption by both parties that they're operating by
the same set of rules when in fact they're not.  This leads to some
messy situations which need not have happened-one of the workshop
instructors called this "preventative ethics".

In the survey thus far, grad student assumptions range all over the
place, from the feeling that PIs demand too much by expecting more than
a 40 hour week to the one who believes that its his responsibility to
make the PI famous.  Unfortunately, the faculty end of the survey is a
bit skewed-the people who respond tend to be faculty who care about
students a lot-the ones who don't even know the names of the students in
their lab, or who can't understand why a student is frustrated after 8
years in the lab and no end in sight, don't respond to surveys like
this.

But the survey has been helpful to me, and I want to thank all of you
who did respond-it will enable me to give concrete examples of how the
unwritten nature of scientific interactions can lead to conflicting
expectations.  And general comments on this topic are also welcome....

Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at
Texas A&M University