Dissertation Defense

Bharathi Jagadeesh bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov
Wed Feb 26 09:49:29 EST 1997

: JPotter wrote:
: > I am a mere 5 weeks away from my Ph.D. defense and am quite nervous about
: > the entire thing!  I was wondering if others who have gone through this
: > would share their experiences....was it as bad as you thought it would
: > be?

Susan Forsburg writes:
: Absolutely!  The important thing is to remember that YOU know more
: about what you are talking about than anyone else in the room.  Don't
: let your natural nerves get in the way of what you really know.

I wanted to add a "me too" to this comment. Soon after I entered
Grad school (and started getting my first data) I actualy started
writing down "you know more about your data than anyone else" in
my lab journals to remind myself of this point frequently.

When we enter grad school, most of us don't have a lot of knowledge
about the field that we're studying (that comes with time), and are
constantly encountering things we don't know. By the time grad
school is over, we've absorbed a lot of knowledge about things
we didn't know, but there's still an infinte amount of stuff we
_still_ don't know. So we still feel like we don't know anything!

But data is special (and what makes science so special) because you
really know more about it than anyone else!

Good luck with your defense!
Bharathi

Bharathi Jagadeesh/bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov

Lab of Neuropsychology