Research ethics survey

S L Forsburg forsburg at nospamsalk.edu
Thu Feb 27 11:07:09 EST 1997

Julia wrote...
> In the survey thus far, grad student assumptions range all over the
> place, from the feeling that PIs demand too much by expecting more than
> a 40 hour week to the one who believes that its his responsibility to
> make the PI famous.

Interesting....from my point of view as a one-time student and current
PI, all I can do is my best to give a student  opportunity. I
don't owe him/her success, I can't promise that!  but I can do
my damnedest to create opportunity.  It's up to the student to
put in the work, the time, and the effort to seize it, while I
try to show them how.  If we're lucky, we'll both be famous! ;-)

Frankly, 40 hours a week usually isnt enough to do that. But I don't
work a 40 hour week either.

-- susan

NOTE Don't reply to email address in header!
It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg          forsburg at salk.edu
The Salk Institute    http://flosun.salk.edu/~forsburg
La Jolla, CA