Research ethics survey

ALISON BATTIST1 at MUSOM01.MU.WVNET.EDU
Fri Feb 28 10:00:13 EST 1997

In regards to the 40hr vs 100hr work week for students...

Two brief comments:

1) Much of the time I put in would not be "counted" toward my hours
if I were on a time clock.  I'm sure many of you would agree that
much of the reading and writing that gets done, gets done at home or
at the library, not in the lab.

2) I also feel that it is not the quantity of time spent, but the
quality.  If I can accomplish the same amount of work in 8 hours
(working straight through and eating my lunch on my feet) that
someone else takes 12 hours to do ( an hour for lunch, some time to
chat, numerous 'smoke breaks') who's to say that I am not doing as
much simply because I'm not in the lab as much?

I apologize if I sound cranky (truth be told, I am), but this has
been an issue in my lab since I got here 4 years ago.  To be honest,
I'm quite sick of it.  I've tried to slow down and drag out my work,
but it's just not in my nature, I much prefer to get it over with and
go home (where I can do my work in my pajamas!!)

Just my opinion.

Alison