Research ethics survey

Chris Boake cboake at utk.edu
Fri Feb 28 14:06:53 EST 1997

In article <33169348.6657 at nospamsalk.edu>, forsburg at nospamsalk.edu wrote:

> The real measure of whether you are working hard is what you
> are getting done.
>
> -- susan, who will probably regret bringing up working hours!

Yes! Yes! Yes!  We're not in a field that deals with "billable hours."  We
are in a field that judges progress by papers published and proposals
funded.  I tend to get anxious if I don't see one of my students for a few
days, but I realize that they have their own schedules, and after a few
months with a new student I know whether the absences are productive or
unproductive.  Productivity can be totally uncorrelated with visibility;
it's easy to spin your wheels anywhere.
--Chris Boake