Working hard

S L Forsburg forsburg at nospamsalk.edu
Fri Feb 28 19:23:54 EST 1997

Linnea Ista (lkista at unm.edu) quoted

> > >This is not a 9-5, weekends-free profession. Getting a PhD isnt a
> job.
> > >If being a student were like having a job, the pay would be a lot
> > >better. This should not be a surprise to anyone. If you go to
> > >graduate school, you must be prepared to work hard. My technician
> > >has a 40 hour week. My students don't. It's no different
> > >for me as a PI. Certainly I work more than 40hrs/wk....

and
> > The point here isn't the 40 hours, but the falling behind.
> > I would look at two things:
> > what was attempted, and what was accomplished.
> > If not enough was attempted, the student would have 3 choices:
> > get more efficient
> > work more hours
> > take a masters and become a tech

Linnea responded:
>  Okay I passed up on the first "tech" remark. I won't on the second.

...snip.....

> ........What I am getting a little testy at
> here
> is the implication that a tech job is something for someone who
> doesn't
> want to work too hard.

You get me wrong.  My tech works 40hrs because that is all I can pay
him for, and I have no business asking him for more if I can't pay him
overtime!   I don't mean that techs arent motivated or hard workers,
mine have been real gems and essential to the running of my lab.
But a technician position is a "real" job with  real constraints--
back to an  earlier post,  the rules about work weeks DO apply to them.

Because of this, someone who wants a more structured position is
probably going to be happier as a technician than as a graduate
student.  There are no guarentees for the student, and there
are some for the technician.  THAT is the point I was making.  I
certainly don't disparage the technician's role, because they are
the unsung heroes of most labs, and just because the job has some
formal structure doesnt mean there's no hard work.

If you are working more than your contracted 40 hours/week,
you are probably in legal terms entitled to overtime.

For the record, I don't disparage my tech, my aa, or my support
staff.  I couldnt get along without them!  But the requirements
 and expectations for a graduate student are quite
different -=- that's the take-home message here.

--susan

NOTE Don't reply to email address in header!
It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg          forsburg at salk.edu
The Salk Institute    http://flosun.salk.edu/~forsburg
La Jolla, CA